So Andrei gave me a great idea to share some of my Amazon prime lovin’ with my (trusted) friends.
Amazon Prime is $80 a year. For that subscription you get free two-day ordering, $4 next day air, and orders fulfilled so fast you can’t cancel them. However, there are only so many times you can free-two day a spatula and not get bored.
So here is a idea I have to get some more value for my friends from Amazon and get my Prime account more usage.
[Amascam after the jump]
- Open secondary browser.
- Register for an Amazon Associates account using your normal Amazon login.
- Find out your amazon associates tag by generating a link and looking for the “tag=” part of the URL. For instance, when I generated a text link for the headphones I bought it came out like this…
<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P6M6HY?ie=UTF8&tag=terrychay-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000P6M6HY">Shure SE530PTH Sound Isolating Earphones with Push-To-Hear Control</a><img src="http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=terrychay-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B000P6M6HY" width="1" height="1" border="0" alt="" style="border:none !important;margin:0px !important" />
The tag is “terrychay-20”
- Find the ASIN what you want to purchase. For instance for a pair of equally good headphones (if you don’t mind paying a little more than for these), the URL reads
and for the black version…
Have an ASIN = B000NDLJNG and B000NDPAZ4 respectively.
- Close that browser and use a different one (log out).
- Log in under the community account (my account).
- Type in the URL of the product page adding your tag to the end of it. For example, if this were possible, the link to the products above would look like
- Add to cart to purchase. You’ll have free shipping for two day and $4 for next day.
- If you’re worried about security, you can delete your credit card from the accounts page after the order is fulfilled. You probably want to leave the ship-to entry in the address book for convenience though.
Step 7 is untested, but the idea is to give my friends 3.5% discount on their purchases. Does anyone know if that works?
6 thoughts on “Community prime”
Amazon suggested I buy this in the footer.
@Ed My two choices are Farbenfinsternis (the barebreasted album) and organic baby food.
How do they know so accurately what I want?
Andrei sent me this clever way to share my account.
You can’t exploit the affiliates trick though, but it does make the logistics of ordering much better.