Synchronization is not possible because Google doesn’t provide an API for synching. (In fact, AFAIK, they only publicly provide Gmail import.) Without a synchronization API, there is no way to handle resolving issues where a contact is changed on both Gmail and Plaxo (or Plaxo-supported clients and devices). However, for around six months now, Gmail import has been supported.
The trick, which Joseph provided me, is to do the following.
- Go to https://www.plaxo.com/import?t=reg_gmail.
- Log into Plaxo Online if you haven’t already.
- Type in your gmail username and password and then click “Add contacts to my network.”
- A waiting animation will appear that will then direct you to a “spam” page which you should ignore. (The reason for this is because this page is hooked into of the new user registration flow, not designed for existing users.)
- Go to your contact list and all your gmail contacts should be in your default contacts folder.
I tried it and it works for the three people I have in my gMail contacts list.