I like to wait at least a day to mull over a purchase, sale or no sale. But I was waiting months on a purchase of some stuff, so tacking on a <a href="http://www.bluelounge.com/cablebox.php" title="CableBox—Blue LoungeBlueLounge CableBox (or two) to my A+R order didn’t seem such a bad idea.
Usually snap buying decisions are a bad idea, but this one turned out not so bad.
Who knew a bunch of plastic boxes with cutouts could do so much!
What was cabled
I actually had to purchase two of them because I have the following cable mess:
- AV receiver power cord
- left speaker power cord
- right speaker power cord
- speaker cable to left speaker
- speaker cable to right speaker
- bass cable to left speaker
- base cable to right speaker
- speaker cable to center surround speaker
- speaker cable to left surround speaker
- speaker cable to right surround speaker
- power cord to LCD TV
- HDMI/DVI cable to LCD TV
- Playstation 3 power cord
- ethernet for Playstation 3
- Playstation 3 HDMI connection
- Xbox 360 power cord
- ethernet for XBox 360
- XBox 360 HDMI cable
- Wii power cord
- Wii S-video and audio connections
- Wii receiver bar connector
- power cord for Wii inductive charger
- Ethernet switch power cord
- Ethernet cable for switch
- Mac mini power cord
- HDMI/DVI to Mac mini
- Optic audio cable for Mac mini
- ethernet for Mac mini
- Drobo power cord
- USB connector to Drobo
- Airport express power cord
- optic audio cable for Airport express
- battery charger power cord
- charger cable for Logitech DiNovo keyboard
- Smartstrip power cord
- regular strip power cord
Not to mention assorted batteries and remotes. 🙁
Basically I use the smartstrip with the AV receiver controlling for the black cable box and everything else (computer, wireless, battery charging) goes on the other strip. The system uses about 15 watts when off, almost all of which goes to the wireless repeater.
The Black Box
It ends up costing $50 for this which sounds a lot for two plastic boxes. But then again, I managed to purge myself of three Cable Organizers from the Container Store so the net would be $5.
The difference is small but noticeable.
“Chi rides the wind and scatters, but it is retained when encountering water.”
—origin of Feng-Shui which means “wind-water”